September 18, 2020 @ 10:00 am – November 22, 2020 @ 5:00 pm
About the exhibition
The exhibition will open to the public on 9/18 and stay open until 11/22. Please make sure to review our Health Protocols, before planning your visit to the Mexic-Arte Museum. Thank you.
Mexic-Arte Museum proudly presents ELA (Emerging Latinx Artists) 25: Intersección: Choque & Alivio, Intersection: Shock & Relief, (formally known as YLA, Young Latinx Artists) which celebrates the last twenty five years of exhibitions featuring emerging Latinx artists. This exhibition will showcase artists converging at the crossroads of aesthetic interests and cultural history. The exhibition aims to discover shared life experiences, a (s)mashup or crash (choque) at intersecting lanes of similarities and differences as expressed in the artistically diverse artworks. In reaction to this historical era of identity politics and civic unrest, these artists respond in a visual dialogue, drawing from their cultural experience and sociopolitical consciousness. This year’s exhibition will be curated by Dr. George Vargas, Curator and Director of Programs at Mexic-Arte Museum.
Selected artists are Texas based. They have participated in previous YLA exhibitions (YLA16 – YLA24) and have created new artworks that speak to the exhibition concept.
This year as part of our El Mero Muro program, Mexic-Arte commissioned three women artists to create two new murals, which complement the ELA 25 exhibition. Local artists Niz and Sade Lawson are collaborating on a mural that celebrates the Latinx and Black experience of America, while calling for equality, unity, creative change, and voting rights. El Paso artist Christin Apodaca will paint the second mural, addressing the COVID epidemic and its great impact on the Latinx community in Austin. The two murals will be located on the Museum’s exterior wall on 5th St. at Congress Avenue.
- Ashley Mireles, San Antonio, YLA22
- Jose Villalobos, San Antonio, YLA22
- Michael Anthony Garcia, Austin, YLA18 curator
- Alejandro Macias, Brownsville, YLA23
- Hatziel Flores, Dallas, YLA21
- Jellyfish Collective, El Paso, YLA17
- Michael Menchaca, San Antonio, YLA16
- Hope Mora, Pecos, TX, YLA20
- Suzy Gonzalez, San Antonio, YLA19
- Yareth Fernandez, Austin, YLA24
- Niz, Austin, YLA17, El Mero Muro muralist
- Sade Lawson, Austin, El Mero Muro muralist
- Christin Apodaca, El Paso, El Mero Muro muralist