Mar. 3 @ 5:00 pm – Mar. 19 @ 5:00 pm
About Mix ‘n’ Mash: Alimento para el alma / Food for the soul
March 3, 2023 – March 19, 2023
This group exhibition, a selection of artworks (previously known as Mix ‘n’ Mash) explores the theme of food from over 200 artists created on quality panels donated by Ampersand Art Supply.
Food has the ability to lift the spirit and bring communities together. Food traditions are often passed from one generation to the next, bringing us closer to our history and our families. Food preparation also has as much creative potential as any traditional media (painting, drawing, sculpting, etc.) Austin is home to people from many countries. Mexic-Arte Museum, located in Central Texas and situated so close to the state’s capital, has the opportunity to host people from all over the state, country, and world. These people bring a variety of tastes and food memories with them. In Alimento para el alma / Food for the soul we celebrate the variety of foods interpreted by artists.
We are inviting artists to create one work of art on a 12” x 12” eco-friendly and archival quality Gessobord generously donated by Ampersand.
Mexic-Arte Museum is pleased to announce a call for entries for our annual Mix ‘n’ Mash Exhibition and Art Sale, which will open on Friday, March 3, 2023. This year’s theme is Alimento para el alma / Food for the soul.
HOW DO I PARTICIPATE?
- Starting December 19, 2022, Artists may pick up ONE Gessobord at the Mexic-Arte Museum on Monday – Thursday 10 AM-6 PM; Friday – Saturday 10 AM-5 PM; and Sunday 12 PM-5 PM
- A credit card will be kept on file when you pick up your Gessobord. If you do not return your Gessobord, $25 will be charged to the credit card on file.
- Every artist is free to create a work of art in any style (including figurative, conceptual, abstract, surreal, popular, etc.) and media (painting, printmaking, photography, and more) that depicts their individual theme. Any theme may be used, but artists who choose the Alimento para el alma / Food for the soul theme*** will be featured in a special section.
- Board numbers are assigned, please check the back of your board for your number.
- Before returning your board, fill out the registration form that is attached to the back of your board and the online form. Artists must complete both digital and hardcopy forms to be compensated.
- We ask that all completed submissions be delivered to the Museum by February 10, 2023 (late submissions will be accepted, but may not be included in the opening reception).
- The Mix ‘n’ Mash Exhibit and Art Sale
- Cocktails, music, and great fun!
- The public is encouraged to purchase one or more panels to create their own diptychs, triptychs, and more.
WHAT DO I GET FOR PARTICIPATING?
- The boards will be sold for $150 a piece unless otherwise determined by Mexic-Arte. Artists will receive a 40% commission from each board sold, and the boards will remain available for purchase while they are on display in the Mix ‘n’ Mash exhibition. At the close of the exhibition any unsold boards and future sales will be considered donations to the museum. These donations are tax deductible.
- As a participating artist, you will receive a one-year Individual Level Membership to Mexic-Arte Museum. Membership benefits include free admission to all exhibitions and select events, invitations to Member Preview opening receptions, subscription to the Museum E-Newsletter, and 10% off Museum Store purchases.
- You will also receive two complimentary tickets for you and a guest to attend the opening night party on Friday, March 3, from 6:00 – 9:00 pm. There will be a $10 admission fee for the public, and the event will be free for members.
Thank you for considering this unique collaborative opportunity, we hope that you will join us!
Date: Friday, March 3, 2023 from 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Location: Mexic-Arte Museum
Music: DJ Guira King
Refreshments: Complimentary wine and Dulce Vida Tequila sponsored by Milestone Brands LLC
Activity: Materials provided by Ampersand Art